Business License Application

  • To do business in the Town of Cave Creek*, you must have a Cave Creek Business License (per Ordinance 2004-16).
  • Business Licenses are renewed online annually on December 31 of each year. You will receive an email reminder. If you did not receive an email reminder or need the renewal notice resent please contact our office at 480-488-1400.
  • For any person, corporation or partnership based within the Town limits carrying on any trade, business, calling, profession or occupation, or any contractor conducting business within the Town limits, an  Annual Business License is required. The fee for an Annual Business License is $50.00.
  • For Special Events up to three (3) days: For three days or fewer, you may apply for a Temporary Business License. The fee is $10.00 per day for up to three days, per event.

*Please be aware that not all areas with a Cave Creek mailing address are within town boundaries (PDF). Please verify that you need a Cave Creek Business License before applying. Business licenses are non-refundable.

Peddler / Solicitor License Application
If you wish to request a Peddler / Solicitor License, please fill out the application (PDF). Please also be sure your company has a current business license (see above). Incomplete applications will not be processed.

Special Events 
Ordinance No. O2019-06 Adopted January 21, 2019 and Effective February 20, 2020 Amended Town Code Chapter 114: Special Events providing for a procedure for issuance of a Special Event Permit. A Special Event Permit is required if the event meets at least one of the following conditions:

  • The event requires off-site parking and/or displaces on-site parking, such as when the parking area, or a portion thereof, is being utilized for purposes other than parking; or;
  • The event is located upon or uses any part of public property, including Town Right of Way or private easements dedicated for public use.

The fee for the Special Event Application is $100 per Resolution R2009-19. This fee applies to profit or non-profit status applicants.

Banner Program
Looking for a cost effective way to advertise your event in the Town core? The Town has banner space available in the medians of Cave Creek Road and Carefree Highway. Contact Jane Fuller at 480-488-6621 for more information.

                                              Fees - Per Pole and Per Event

Banner LocationFor ProfitNon-Profit
 Cave Creek Road 700.00 350.00
 Carefree Highway 850.00 500.00
 Special Events50.0050.00

Right-of-Way Sign Permit Form and Information

At its meeting on January 21, 2020, The Town Council adopted Ordinance O2019-02 which amended the Town’s Zoning Ordinance, Chapter 9 Signage, effective February 21, 2020.

Below is a brief synopsis of the sign ordinance as it pertains to Commercial Zones, realtors and garage sales, signs in the Town’s right-of-way along Cave Creek Road and Carefree Highway and special events. Please refer to Chapter 9 of the Zoning Ordinance for the complete

For commercial zones:

• One (1) portable sign is permitted on the property per address, which includes suites/tenants (not within the Town Right-of-Way). If you are not sure where your property boundary is, contact the Town of Cave Creek Planning or Engineering Department or a registered land surveyor. Portable Signs are further addressed in Chapter 9 – Signage, Section 9.4 of the Zoning Ordinance.

• Banners are STILL prohibited unless they are on the building or interior of the property and are not within the parking or landscaped area. For a list of all types of signs that are prohibited by the Town of Cave Creek please refer to the Zoning Ordinance Chapter 9 – Signage, Section 9.1.D. Prohibited Signs.

For Realtors and Garage Sales:

• Non-permanent signs may be placed within Town Rights-of-Way classified as a minor collector or a local road, (which are all streets other than Carefree Highway and Cave Creek Road), and do not require a permit as long as they are not placed in a travel lane, median or driveway. Also, the sign cannot exceed three (3) feet in height or six (6)-square-feet in area, and it cannot be displayed for more than 48 consecutive hours.

Signs Proposed Within the Town’s Right-of-Way along Cave Creek Road or Carefree Highway:

• A Right-of-Way Permit is required for a sign proposed to be placed within the Town’s right-of- way along Carefree Highway or Cave Creek Road. Right-of-Way permitting is covered in Chapter 93, Section 93.16 of the Town Code. Each applicant is limited to four permits for placement of signs in the right-of-way, the duration of which may not exceed 10 days per application. A Right-of-Way Permit Application (PDF) is available.

For Special Events:

• The Town Code was updated to allow for signage used in conjunction with a special event, including revisions that better clarify the definition of a special event and streamline the application process. Additional revisions to the Special Event Chapter can be found in the Town Code Chapter 114.

If you have any questions regarding signage, please contact the Planning Department, Luke Kautzman, at (480) 488-6633 or by email.

Helpful Information 

Please contact your accountant or the Arizona Department of Revenue for any tax questions or for more information on obtaining your appropriate tax I.D. numbers.

Additional Information

Get your TPT License Online, AZ, Register NowOpens in new window Opens in new window